Wake up and smell the coffee

When I first woke up this morning, lying in bed before the alarm sounded, I could swear I smelled coffee.  A wonderfully inviting and motivating smell.   Thing is, though, I knew it was impossible.  A figment of my imagination.  An olfactory hallucination.  Unless the cats had learned to scoop coffee grounds and boil hot water, it was pure fancy.  But wouldn't that be a cute children's story - kitties wanting to help out, doing things around the house when everyone is gone or asleep.  Good intentions with hilarious mishaps.   


Then I remembered that I had done a little prep myself last night.  I filled the kettle with water and put the coffee grounds into the French Press coffee pot before I went to bed to save myself time in the morning.  Is it possible that the smell of the grounds was strong enough to fill the house with the scent of a freshly made pot and reach my little nose all the way in the bedroom?  An unexpected but oh so pleasant byproduct of thinking ahead.

I'll never be able to anticipate everything in planning our move to Vienna, but I am thinking today about how important it is to do the best I can to look ahead, prepare in advance, pay attention and do the little and big things that might help pave the way.  Who knows what good happenings, what surprises and little bits of pleasure doing so might create.  To enjoy the smell of the coffee before it is even made is a lovely thing.