Clark, Freud, Edwards and Me

My alma mater, Clark University, a small, liberal arts college in Worcester, Massachusetts, was the site of Sigmund Freud's introduction - and that of psychoanalysis -to America in 1909 .  Freud, the Viennese neurologist who was known at the time in Europe but not so much in the United States, delivered a series of five lectures on his theory of psychoanalysis at the school.  They are known today as the "Clark Lectures."  It was Freud's first and only trip to America and apparently there is a statue of Freud right in the middle of campus, although I don't remember it at all! (note: I just found out it was erected in 1999, well after my tenure there.  Thank goodness. I thought I was losing my mind!)  

I was reminded of this fact, one that I no doubt learned when I was a prospective student of the university, in the novel I am currently reading, The Little Book by Selden Edwards.  The story spans generations and takes place at different times in Northern California, the Boston-area, and Vienna.  Sounds familiar, a little like a map of my life.  I don't remember choosing the book for that reason and I certainly didn't know that Clark would come into play in the story - it is a small school, not one that you ever hear about in general conversation or in the news - so it feels like a strangely personal connection.  I love how that happens sometimes.