Frohes Neues Jahr

Birthday Indulgence 2010 - Red Velvet Cheesecake.


Because my birthday is so close to the beginning of the calendar year, I often think of IT as my very own New Year's Day. This gives me an extra 11 days to settle into self reflection, review the previous year and consider resolutions or goals. The big day always comes, though, and as the beautiful red cake above illustrates, that day is today.

2010 is quite a year for those goals, I'd say, so here goes......

  • SHARE. Those who know me well know I'm a rather tight-lipped sort. When I share about life, be it the tiny details or the big news, I tend to do so once things have begun or, more likely, after the fact. But this project, this blog, heck, this move, won't work that way. I can't make connections, develop relationships, build trust without first being open and sharing.
  • DON'T LIVE EXCLUSIVELY ONLINE. Blog. Facebook. email. MyFamily.com. A dream come true for me, to hide behind the screen and have written words and photos stand in place of my actual presence and voice. As my online life grows, I'll pay attention to my real, live, in person life as well. Conversations. Phone calls. Coffee dates. The "can't talk, need time to blog, email, FB" excuse will not leave my lips.
  • STRIKE A BALANCE BETWEEN the HERE & NOW and the UP & COMING. I already find myself saying things like, "well, when we're in Vienna I'll go to the museum more...." as if the Bay Area has a dearth of art and culture to explore. Don't forget where I am, don't put off life thinking too far into the future and looking for greener grass.
  • LEARN GERMAN. Oh yeah, that small thing.
So, a bit daunted but strangely exhilarated.... I say Frohes Neues Jahr & Alles Gute zum Geburtstag.....Happy New Year & Happy Birthday.....to me! Next year's birthday indulgence may just very well be Sacher Torte.

P.S. For those of you wondering, the passport application has been submit. Deadline met!

Photo: Cheesecake Factory