when it rains it pours!

Yesterday was a crazy day. Our two year old kitty Stanley (who was diagnosed with juvenile onset heart disease in Dec.) started coughing late during the night. The first cough I passed off as a hairball but when he started doing it every hour or even at one point every 30 minutes I knew this wasn't normal. First thing in the morning I called Stan's cardiologist and they told me to take him directly to the emergency center that is beneath the cardiology unit.

stan_napping

When I got there and the Emergency vet examined Stanley both of us were thinking the worst that his heart disease had progressed to congestive heart failure. Stan was placed on oxygen and then I went home to anxiously await the results of his echocardiogram.

Long story short! There is good news. It turns out his heart condition hasn't worsened it has even stabilized in some areas - wonderful news!! The coughing and lung fluid was diagnosed as feline asthma. Which is still something that we have to contend with but much easier to manage and live with than congestive heart failure. Whew!!

Stanley was sent home last night and along with him came his new treatments. He will get inhaled meds just like what people take for asthma. He's on Flovent and also Albuterol. We use this little Kitty face mask called AeroKat to deliver the medicine. I was so nervous last night the first time I tried it but Stan was patient with me and it wasn't so bad. I think in a week I'll be a pro!

I am looking for an in home air purifier, to keep out pollen etc to help his asthma. Right now at the top of my list is the Oreck. Any other suggestions?

The whole time I have been dealing with all this Toby's terminal cancer and Stan's heart condition and now asthma I keep thinking of my friend Bernie at A Place to Bark. How she does this and more for all the animals she saves is amazing. Not only has this been completely emotionally draining but also very expensive too. Bernie does this every day ten times over with every single animal she rescues! She is truly an incredible person! She also needs our help. She is having a fundraiser drive to finish her shelter. Here is the link!