new books in my studio

I have two new books that just arrived in my studio all about paper folding and paper engineering. Both of these books are inspiring and make me wish for a little more free time so I can play and experiment with these techniques!

paper_engineerbook

The first book is the The Pocket Paper Engineer by Carol Barton. What a great pop-up instruction book!

paper_engineerbook2

Here's a view of one of the inside pages. The books have little elements tucked inside pockets in each chapter that you can use to experiment with the paper folding techniques that Carol shows you. There are tons and tons of diagrams. Super detailed instructions with fold outs and pop-ups you can try right away. Turns out that Carol lives near the DC area and teaches classes, I can't wait to sign up for one!

interactive_art_workshopbook

The second book is Interactive Art Workshop by Kim Rae Nugent. I actually have a piece in the back in the gallery section! This book arrived arrived just about the same time as the Pocket Paper Engineer. Hmmmm.... maybe my muse is trying to tell me that I need to be doing more pop-ups!

Kim's book is an interactive treat! I love how she combines mixed media art with interactive constructions. One of the things that always intimidates me about making pop-ups is that I feel I would need to be neat and tidy with my paper and not get paint all over it. Kim, throws those fears out the window and shows how you can make interactive MIXED media art!